Awesometown Homemade Black Bean Burgers
These black bean burgers turned out so swell, I might never buy the frozen kind again. Also, Andy helped.
These are great.
Recipe makes 6 large burgers.
You’ll probably want to eat two right away.
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
- 3 tbsp lemonaise (I like it so much better than mayo)
- 1 ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or Tony’s
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 poblano or jalapeno pepper
- 6 soft hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmery. Stir in the cayenne/Tony’s, oregano, onions, celery, peppers, mushrooms, and garlic and cook until just beginning to turn brown.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty. Add mayo/lemonnaise and stir until blended.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans/nnaise. Add the vegetables. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. If it won’t adhere to itself, add more breadcrumbs or let it cool until it does.
- Divide mixture and shape into patties. It is tasty to coat both sides of a patty in more breadcrumbs.
- Heat patties in a frying pan or on a grill. The great thing about them is that you’re just cooking them for heat; you can’t make yourself sick because there is no meat to undercook here.
- Serve on a bun with your favorite condiment(s).